Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect?

Subject: Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect?
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:48:22 -0500

You took the easy way out <g>.

So, what could the STC do to get you there, such that you, as boss of
the pubs manager, would be happy to let each member of the pubs dept.
sign up for the STC on the company dime?

That is, some managers consider STC as professional development and
are happy to let interested technical writers sign up for it, because
those writers are showing an interest in their profession and now
those writers feel better about their job because of the company's
support for their STC membership.

But, what about tangible improvements in writing, etc.? I mean, tool
stuff is easy to arrange, and gets old. I suppose there could be
grammar symposiums, meetings on outlines and structuring content.

But, as the boss of the pubs manager, what would you expect your
writers to get from their STC membership that you, the boss 'boss,
paid for?

--
======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com