Re: RE: Tech writers as Sales Reps

Subject: Re: RE: Tech writers as Sales Reps
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:22:12 -0500

I don't understand your comment, Connie. Where did you read
about writers losing responsibility for help files?

Many of us should recognize the author's name. Gordon &
Gordon are list supporters. Gordon Graham should be
congratulated for getting technical writing recognized in
such a venue.

I thought the article was very well placed and mostly well
done. My only disappointment was that he made specific tool
recommendations, which I thought were out of place given the
tone of the rest of the article.

In general, the article describes a virtual technical writing
nirvana -- an organization where the technical writers are
respected and well treated. Don't we all wish we worked there???

In the software startups I've worked for, I've often been
called upon to produce the kind of documentation that can
be used for sales presentations. Sometimes it's a technical
overview of the product, sometimes it's just maintaining the
ability to print a user manual rather than having it go totally
online. It's nice, actually, to be shown off to prospective
customers. It's nice when the sales force thinks that much
of you and your work.

Kudos to Gordon for getting the word about us out there to
the top of the food chain!

-Sue Gallagher

> From: "Giordano, Connie" <connie -dot- giordano -at- twcable -dot- com>

> At what point did tech writers lose responsibility for help files and
> electronic docs?
>
> It's great that they understand the true value that technical
> communications can bring (And I am a huge believer in the concept that
> user support, whether documentation, help desk, training or something
> else is an integral part of successful branding), but they still fail to
> understand that communications involves a great variety of tasks, and in
> a lot of places, we are responsible for all of them
>
> It's a step in the right direction but sheesh, who do they think writes
> all those help files and electronic docs?
> [snip]
>

> Tech writers as sales reps? Interface Software's award-winning docs
> boost brand, revenues, and customer satisfaction
>
> <http://star.sparklist.com/t/9215/297673/97/0/>

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com