Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?

Subject: Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:30:32 -0800

Chuck Martin wrote:

This generated a number of replies. Some recall varying types of writing tests. But one response said, in part: "administering a writing test would take a lot of time for very little useful return."

It seems to me that if you give someone a subject and ask them to write about it, whether the subject is technical documentation or what they think of the sun rising this morning, it won't take more than a minute or two of reading the result to see a writer's skills.

Companies are demanding ever more with ever less. Wouldn't you want to know if your technical writer candidate can write well, out of the box, or would require a significant amount of editing? If someone could organize their thoughts well, on the fly, and put them coherently, clearly, and well-organized down on paper in a short amount of time, wouldn't you not only value that skill, but grab at it the first chance you got? I'd say yes, but then, I think that skill is a lot rarer than most would want to admit.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com