Re: What Are Writing Skills?

Subject: Re: What Are Writing Skills?
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:01:40 -0800

Jerry Muelver wrote:

I can make an engineer into a writer a lot easier than I can make a writer into an engineer. Communication is the eliciting of a response -- effective communication is the eliciting of a desired response. Engineers understand and respect the difference, and will gladly work to a spec that says, "Get thus-and-so behavior out of the reader," whereas a capital-W Writer will more often work for personal warm fuzzies and leave the consequences of readers' behavior up to the readers themselves.

I could not disagree more with this premise. Good writing--good communication--is not a skill that is either easily taught or easily learned.

But what offends me the most is the assumptions that "a capital-W Writer will most often work for warm fuzzies." The goal of good writing, of good technical writing, is to help readers reach their goals. Or on an even higher and more important level, to ensure reader (read: user) happiness. Good (technical) writers are proud of work that accomplishes this goal, but have no ego that stands in the way of others' contributions and input to help reach that goal.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com