RE: Advice on menu styling

Subject: RE: Advice on menu styling
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:59:04 +0100 (CET)

For print documents, there is one more way: use a font that offers a semibold typeface.

Jens

<zitiere wer="diotima">

> hi patrick,
>

> i share your distaste of beaucoup de bold. i puzzled over this for some time myself. i like things
> nice and clean, tending toward minimalist. too much bold...actually, too much of any kind of
> formatting makes me want to barf. after trying a few different things, i found something i like a
> lot.
>

> i tend toward the microsoft way, but in place of bold, i use a sort of pseudo bold. i create a
> style that i usually call "myStrong" and make it bold, but then i fine tune the color to a darkish
> grey. i don't have the exact hex/rgb handy, but i spent a fair amount of time until i got it
> juuuuuuust right. too black, and it's bold; too light, and it's ineffective.
>

> what a difference! or, what a difference to me. i doubt anyone else realizes that the color of the
> word "file" in my step one is different than the color of the "how to bla bla" title just above
> it. but now my word docs and robohelp docs look yummy!
>

> ah, sometimes it's the little things in a tech writer's life that make life beautiful.
>

> try it.
>

> -diotima

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com