Re: new kid on the block (long) Take TWO

Subject: Re: new kid on the block (long) Take TWO
From: cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:54:56 -0700

Things are interesting at your company! Your boss isn't going to win any
Manager of the Year awards, but he gave you (unintentionally, I'm sure)
good advice: "Just roll with it"--he seems grasp just how things are done
at your company. As they're actually making sales doing things the way
they've been doing them, don't be a noodge, just shake your head ruefully
as the money roll in and concentrate on reducing the backlog of docs as
fast as you can! It'll mean a lot more overtime I'm afraid, but it's a
chance to make your mark. Then, after you get caught up (say in November)
they'll be so impresssed that they won't balk at anything you suggest as
long as your improvements won't slow things down.

--Chris

> The other thing, (sorry this just gets longer and
> longer) I hear around here that is different than I?m
> used to is ?It is better to have the product released
> BEFORE we start working on the documentation.
> Documentation is a luxury only.? This has come up
> when I?ve asked about being part of the product
> developement cycle from the beginning and working in
> conjunction with alpha, beta and final product
> releases. Is this normal? I?m not used to trying to
> play catch up with the documentation when the product
> is already to the customer. There are loads and loads
> of products out there (this is software) with no
> documentation at all. Boss says they are an estimated
> two years behind in documentation. Frankly I don?t see
> how this is going to change with the way things are.
>
> Anyway, sorry to drag on. I appreciate the all the
> feedback.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com