Re: Leaving Canada

Subject: Re: Leaving Canada
From: "Gilles Cassin" <gcassin -at- noos -dot- fr>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:05:35 +0100

You are not indicating in which European country you wish to settle. If you want to settle in a EU country, you apply for a specific country. (Thas is, if your question is about the documents that concern the European side.) But this mainly depends on which European language you're at ease with. If you only speak English you should first think about taking an intensive course on the language of the country you wish to settle in, because it would really be difficult to live there otherwise. Of course, you could settle in Ireland or the UK, but you couldn't use the fact that English is your mother tongue as an asset.

Each EU country has its rules when it comes to foreign workers. It may prove difficult to obtain a work permit if you come as a lone independent worker. OTOH, you may think about first coming as a student for an intensive course in the country (but your work permission - if any - may be highly restricted).

As unemployment is an issue in Western Europe, note that many countries do not make the settlement of foreign workers easy.

Beginning with finding a position for a company which needs you in Europe may make things smoother, if they're ready to help you get a work permit.

You should be aware that in many European (among other) countries, not speaking the language is a major drawback if you intend to go past the tourist status. (This is a repetition*, please ask me directly if you wish a short bibliography as regards this issue in France.) And I'm not sure you could think of learning the language while working as a TW, while part-time unskilled work may be a possibility -- there, a strong North-American accent may be an asset.

The STC has many groups in Europe, you might think of contacting them.

HTH

Gilles Cassin

* As it comes to repetition, I don't monitor the list permanently, and it seems that this answer may be redundant. As there was no reference to previous similar questions, I didn't check back as I would usually do -- which saves some typing if not reading.

Also, checking back in the archives I noticed you mention a two year degree -- I'm not sure about what the two years are, whether it is a two year TW degree.

Robert Sorokowski asked : Leaving Canada

I'm doing a graduation project for my technical communication course on establishing yourself as a technical writer in Europe. I am wondering if there are any technical writers from Canada who have gone over to Europe to work either permanently or for a short period of time. The question I have and seem to be having difficulty to find answers to is what documents do you need to have filled out and dealt with before leaving Canada. Thanks, Robert

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com