FrameMaker Single-sourcing question

Subject: FrameMaker Single-sourcing question
From: Martin Riddle <martin_riddle -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:05:55 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Wondering if any of the Frame or single-sourcing
experts out there can help with this one.

Currently, we use Structured FrameMaker 7.1 to deliver
a PDF manual and HTMLHelp for a complex software
product. The complete PDF book is about 800 pages.

Tech. support has asked us if we can create small PDF
deliverables that encompass only a single procedure,
or a small section covering a commonly performed task.

We're aware we can merely extract these pages directly
from the full book PDF and save them out as small
standalone files, but we'd rather not maintain the
content in these files separately.

Ideally we would like to automate our deliverable
generation process so that we can somehow flag the
structured elements in Frame, and then output PDF
"mini-deliverables" for only the flagged elements.

We are already using a fairly complex conditional text
model to address produce multiple documents for
multiple versions of the software product, so adding
another "Print" or "Standalone Topic" condition is not
a workable solution.

I'm wondering if anybody has used element attributes
to flag small portions of Frame content for
printing/outputting.

Thanks in advance,
Martin Riddle

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com