RE: What Are Writing Skills?

Subject: RE: What Are Writing Skills?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:28:26 -0800 (PST)

Sharon:

--- Sharon Burton <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com> wrote:
I sent you to Minimalism as a way to think about
structuring your writing.

Tony Markos:

Ok, let me summarize: I ask "What Are Writing Skills?"
I'm told that the "meat" (my summary word) of writing
skills is skill in structured writing. I research the
web on structured writing and only find fluff. I ask
this listserv for specific, concrete steps and
techniques. Only you respond, stating, if I
understand correctly: Structured writing is all about
Minimalism.

Problems:

1.) When I ask "What Are Writing Skills?", I seek the
real "meat", not the periferal. Are you saying that
Minimalism is the "meat" of writing skills or
structured writing?

2.) I googled on "minimalism is". I reviewed the
first thrity hits. Problem: Those pages only state
things like Minimalism is "a set of [high level]
principles", a "generic" term, a "concept", and
"everybody has a different definition". In other
words: They give fluff, not specific, concrete steps
and technqiues.

Sharon, again, if structured writing is the "meat" of
writing skills, then I have to believe that
discovering specific, concrete steps and/or techniques
for doing such would be a very straight forward task.

Sharon Burton:

I think I sent you a small reading list.

Tony Markos:

If you did, and I really don't remember seeing such;
if the readings give specific, concrete technqiues
and/or techniques PLEASE resend - I really seek an
answer to "What Are Writing Skills?"

Sharon Burton:

I offered to let you take my class this spring where I
can teach you how to write in a structured way.

Tony Markos:

Thanks for the offer, but if structured writing is so
fundamental to TWing, to answer my basic question, I
really should not have to go to such lengths.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com