Re: Tech doc DTDs

Subject: Re: Tech doc DTDs
From: Bill Lawrence <lawrence -at- mayaviz -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:43:05 -0500

Yves,

Docbook is the mature, well-supported solution used by a wide variety of hardware and software vendors. For example, it's the standard for Linux documentation. Docbook has the advantage of being very well supported by both commercial and open-source tools. For example, you can use the open-source Modular Docbook Stylesheets (available at sourceforge.com) to convert Docbook into HTML, XHTML, HTMLHelp, JavaHelp, Eclipse Help, PDF, RTF, and postscript.
DITA, from IBM, is the newcomer and is only now getting reasonable support from commercial tools vendors. The open-source tools are more than adequate for converting DITA into online help formats, but lag a bit in book production capabilities. DITA is currently used throughout IBM. I think there's an outside chance that DITA may one day supplant Docbook simply because of its more modular design. It was built with single-sourcing in mind, whereas one must be a bit careful in how one uses Docbook to make it equal DITA in modularity.

If you're looking to build a large, modular, single-source publishing system than can both output various formats as well as publications filtered for various audiences, Docbook is probably your best bet. A few years ago I built a Docbook-based system for a large software company that, on a nightly basis, converted over 10,000 pages of documentation in PDF, HTMLHelp, and Oracle Help. This enabled the company to provide updated documentation to reviewers with their nightly build. There are very few other technologies that can achieve that sort of thing.

I'm currently building a similar system, though on a much smaller scale, for my present employer.

If you are interested in reading a bit more about Docbook, I recommend the following article:

http://xml.oreilly.com/news/dontlearn_0701.html

You can also either read an online version of "Docbook, The Definitive Guide" at http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/ or download a .chm version that you can read at your leisure.

You can, of course, create your own DTD. That also requires you to create all of the tools to support it, including XSL scripting to convert it into useful formats. If you are up to the programming task and you have very well defined templates for both creating documentation and for the deliverables, this may be a better course in the long run. The great advantage to Docbook is in its very general capabilties.

Bill

Yves Barbion wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for good DTDs for technical documentation. Best practices to
design DTDs or tech doc content models will do as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Yves Barbion
Senior Technical Writer
Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com