Recruiter Questions

Subject: Recruiter Questions
From: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:27:42 -0500

Most of the positions I've been contacted about have been through
recruiters or staffing agencies. This leads to a lot of treacherous
navigating as different companies try to get me into their clients'
hands. It also leads to a lot of questions, particularly when the
clients suddenly change requirements or stop giving feedback.

I figured I would ask the more experienced among us the following:

1) When a recruiter picks you up for a job, then suddenly tells you
the client didn't feel you had enough experience, is that oftentimes
the actual case? I've had this happen on two occasions so far, and I'm
wondering if it's just a smokescreen for other reasons. It's
particularly odd, given that I have my resume on most major job boards
(Monster, Dice, Yahoo HotJobs, ComputerJobs.com, etc.), and recruiters
can clearly see my experience level. Do they not consult with the
clients first before picking candidates?

2) Why is it that two staffing agencies submitting one person's resume
at the same time automatically eliminates that person from the
running? Particularly if they (the potential employee) didn't know
about it. I narrowly avoided missing a good opportunity at Nextel
because two different agencies contacted me about it at first, and I
was smart enough to check with the one I preferred.

Any advice or insight can be helpful. I'm loving the idea of being in
a bidding war, but it's frustrating when recruiters contact you full
of excitement and support, than disappear a week later.

Martin Bosworth

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com