Use of "and/or"

Subject: Use of "and/or"
From: ethanreese -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:02:48 -0700

Where I currently work I write a lot of environmental reports. My
supervisors use the "and/or" conjunction a lot, such as "hazardous and/or
unidentified substance contaniers" or "licensing and/or registration
information."

In the reports I write, the first example is the most typical use where
two conditions may apply individually, together, or not at all. A
container may be an unidentified substance. It may be a hazardous
substance. It may be an unidentified hazardous substace. It may be grape
jelly.

It seems that "and/or" is becoming viewed as archaic. Naturally, I *have*
to leave it as is or my supervisors will make me change it anway. I was
curious how it is viewed or used in others' workplaces. When chosing
between the two instead of using "and/or," which do you apply most often?

Using the examples above, in my thinking, the first would be "hazardous or
unidentified substance containers." If it's unidentified, then you really
can't assert that it's also hazardous. If you can at least identify it as
hazardous, it's not entirely unidentified. In my particular case, it is a
section heading. The text in the section itself will detail the findings.
So, in that case, I'd be inclined to go with "hazardous or unidentified
substance containers."

In the second example of "license and/or registration information" it's
basically listing two things someone might want. Since they can select
either one, the other, or both, I see "and" as merely linking their
choices. "Or," on the other hand, would imply they can only choose one or
the other. In this case, I would be inclined to use "license and
registration information."

Your thoughts?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com