Ensuring the effect is not affected

Subject: Ensuring the effect is not affected
From: technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:23:18 -0700

Heya Wr-lers,
So the interview pop quiz got me thinking--I'm pretty sure I know how to
use "that" and "which" properly, which is an accomplishment in itself. And
I almost never forget that it's important to a document and its
credibility not to confuse "it's" and "its". But I can never remember when
to use effect and when to use affect.

I know that effect is nearly always a noun, except when it isn't, and
affect is a verb, except for when it's not. When confronted with one or
the other in a sentence, I can't figure out if the correct word is being
used, or not. I nearly always look up some handy online grammar source,
but sometimes they don't seem to know either: "Usage--The confusion of the
verbs affect and effect is not only quite common but has a long history."

So, does anyone have a good mnemonic or other handy way of remembering
when to use effect and when to use affect?

Hoping to avoid the affect effect...
Mandy

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com