Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?

Subject: Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?
From: keithwriter -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:00:11 -0700

I will NEVER understand all the fuss about testing. It's an interview -
you don't know WHAT to expect. They can ask you anything (well, within
legal limitations). And you're pitching yourself as a professional writer.
So what's wrong with somebody putting that claim to the test?

Virtually everybody's job eventually throws them an unexpected curve. I
don't understand this sense of being entitled to know EVERYTHING that is
going to happen during your job interview.

Here's a flip side of testing: I recently had a recruiter from a local
tech company call me. He saw my resume online and wanted to interview me
for a curriculum developer position. I had already seen their want ad, and
had not applied, because I wasn't a fit. I told this recruiter the same
thing. He said no problem. Then he said he wanted to give me a technology
test. Okay, I said, but I think it's a waste of time - I am not familiar
with your technology. He ignored me, and started asking me questions. I
got the first one wrong, and admitted up front that I was guessing. "That
was pretty close," he said, "I'll put you down as getting that one right."
This kept on for a few more questions - me blowing the answer by a mile,
and him putting me down as nailing it. Finally I stopped the interview.
"Look," I said, "I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you're not going to do
me or your company any favor by sending me into a position where they
think I'm qualified and I'm really not. I'd be interested in any other
positions at your company that may be a better fit, but I gotta tell you,
this one isn't it."

The guy called me again last week, leaving me a message that suggests he
doesn't even realize we've spoken before. I didn't return the call.

Anyway, if you know your stuff, taking a test should be no biggie. I know,
I know - some of you claim you "don't test well." But what the heck is a
job, but a daily test? Every day we get asked to do stuff that we may not
have done before. Our ability to cope and adapt is one of the things that
makes us valuable in this ever-changing workplace.

So I say, chill out, take the fricking test, and maybe get a job out of
it. But quit your whining. I've just been through the interview mill for
the last three months, and believe me, I'd WELCOME a writing test compared
to some of the crap interviewers have put me through!

Keith C
evil marketing type

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com