RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - VBA, Macros, etc.

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - VBA, Macros, etc.
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:15:06 -0000

I suggested this topic to Lisa, though it was her idea to make a poll
question out of it.

Microsoft is due to end mainstream support for Visual Basic 6 at the end of
March 2005. A group of Microsoft MVPs has organised a petition to persuade
Microsoft to reverse this decision and continue support and development of
the language (see www.classicvb.org). Visual Basic for Applications is
essentially the same language embedded within Microsoft Office, so although
VBA has been publicly promised for Office 12 (due for release towards the
end of this year), it is likely that some future version of Office will drop
VBA unless the decision on Visual Basic 6 is reversed. If VBA is dropped,
most VBA code would need to be rewritten in the successor language VB.NET.
I've described the issue for Office users in more depth in the following
article.

Save Classic VB!
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=516

As many of you use Office and in particular Word as an important tool for
your technical writing, I thought that you might be interested in the issue.
Also, I am interested to find out how much you use VBA in the course of your
work, and whether a move away from VBA by Microsoft would have a signicant
effect on you.

Regards
Jonathan West

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com