How should we use the training budget?

Subject: How should we use the training budget?
From: THinds -at- TIMESLIPS -dot- COM
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:08:33 -0700

Hello All,

This is a bit like the recent "Training or Conference" thread.

My group is made up of user-centered design folks and user assistance
folks who are all interested in building their skill sets. This year we
have a tuition-reimbursement program and an education-and-training budget
to help us with this. A couple of us are in the early research stage of
writing a proposal on how to use the education-and-training budget.

At this point, I'm not exactly sure of the $$$ amount of the
education-and-training budget. I'm also not sure of what kind of ideas the
director has for this budget. But, we'd like to get the best bang for our
buck, so I'm hoping you can share experiences in what you're doing (or
have done) to keep your UCD/UA folks at the top of their games, what's
worked well, and what's not worked so well. Our report will serve as a
preemptive strike when we have our first "real" meeting with the director
about this budget.

Some initial ideas include:
- Growing an in-house library of resources.
- Taking individual online courses geared toward each team member's job.
- Having a local college host satellite classes at the company for the
entire team.
- Attending one-day training focusing on specific software tools.
- Attending a conference that offers many UCD/UA related classes jammed
into a couple days.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can provide!
- Tom Hinds

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com