Re: Ghostwriters anonymous pricing question (long)

Subject: Re: Ghostwriters anonymous pricing question (long)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:01:08 -0500

Sherry Michaels wrote:

Dick says: I could redraft the invoice at the lower rate per thousand words
associated with my participating in book sales. This would knock 40% off
immediately, possibly mollifying him. But it would still be way more than
the initial misunderstanding led him to expect. I could, in fact, just walk
away from the deal, making it clear he cannot use the work I sent him as a
sample (I already indicated that when I sent it to him--this would just be
reinforcement of that point). But I'd like to do this project; so I don't
like that option. I can offer to convert this to a book proposal package and
shop it to agents, with the hope of selling it to a trade publisher (a
remote possibility).>>

Herb Cohen writes books on negotiation. In one of them (and I'm sorry, I've
forgotten which one), he says, "The person who is more emotionally involved,
loses." You lost the negotiation the second you wanted to do the book more
than the businessman wanted to pay you. By the fact that you and he are
"disconnected" I think you will not get the opportunity to present a new
quote (which, by the way, is probably not a good idea). You have suffered a
credibility blow when the businessman's understanding and your understanding
didn't connect. You need to shore your credibility up, if he allows you to
do it. Reducing your rate only sabotages your credibility further.

Points taken. Just to clarify, I had no intention of reducing my rate, only of applying a different payout scenario that would exchange some risk on my part for a larger ultimate revenue stream.

If, however, you do get the chance, present a "statement of work" which lays
out the understanding very specifically

That was what was included in my proposal that he hasn't read very carefully yet.

and includes a table on the going
rates for good writers. Use surveys to back up your information (STC does
one).

Good point. I've got some other resources for such info that I can send him.

Understand that in business, there are very few second chances. This one may
be blown.

Maybe. We'll see.

Thanks for your input, Sherry. It gives me some ideas.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com