RE: Are you innovative?

Subject: RE: Are you innovative?
From: "Taryn Light" <taryn -at- architext-usa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:05:49 -0500

CB Casper wrote:

<<Reviewed our documentation set and reduced the number of in-the-box docs
from three to one, and simplified it to reduce costs and allow for quicker
changes. For our major product documents, I pulled out material that
changes frequently and made it available on the web only, instead of
updating our large primary docs on a frequent basis at a high cost. In a
past job, I created a process where engineering information was provided
directly to the fabrication shop, thus bypassing the technical writing
altogether.>>

Well done, CB! Take a bow! Every time we reduce the word count in a
document or in online help, UP goes productivity, UP goes customer
satisfaction, and DOWN go the expenses! You are also very wise to put
frequently changing info on your website!

Have you documented and distributed the your success metrics of saving time
and money for your company? We all work hard, are conscious, and are
passionate about usability. But we also tend to hold back from broadcasting
our successes because we feel like it's bragging. If you haven't shared
these awesome accomplishments with your upper management--or put them in a
company newsletter--I strongly suggest you do so. And be sure to include a
colorful pie chart or bar graph showing your successes. They'll love it!
(And so will you at review time!)

Taryn Light
STC Past President, Boston Chapter
ABREVE Program Manager