Re: Taking Credit

Subject: Re: Taking Credit
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:17:56 -0800 (PST)

> The first thing I learned from my Professional Writing Professor is
> that I do not own anything I write. The company I work for owns it.
> Knowing that has prevented my ego from outrunning my
> professionalism. I have seen a lot of writers take "ownership" of
> their projects and get all bent when someone else wants to edit or
> review "their" documents. I think that just gets in the way of
> getting the job done.

First...what does academia know.

Second...I DO take ownership of what I write. The quality of the
deliverable is in direct relationship to who I am as a writer.
Getting it done well is personal.

While on te job, all anyone has to use to judge whether I should be
kept employed is my output, so of course it is personal...the quality
of my documentation determines whether I eat well (and I like to eat
well) and whether I can afford to buy my toys (and I like my toys).

OTOH, taking ownership and being able to take
criticism/direction/input are two different things.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com