RE: Taking Credit

Subject: RE: Taking Credit
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:40:26 -0500

I think there's a difference between "taking ownership" of your documents,
and thinking you own them. I tell my students to take ownership, meaning
they are responsible for the information in that publication and in many
cases must be its champion. As you rightly point out, that does not mean
getting upset if it is edited or reviewed. Of course the company holds
copyright, but I also advocate putting your name in the publication, along
with the names of the contributors (e.g., developers who provided
information files and so on) where appropriate. If your name is on it for
all to see, you're more likely to maintain a standard of quality, and it
publicly acknowledges that you are responsible for the document.

Unless you don't want to be. <g>