HTML v. PDF

Subject: HTML v. PDF
From: mrbassman -dot- 1136710 -at- bloglines -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:37:21 -0700

We currently provide PDF versions of our guides on our company's extranet.
Most of the guides are broken into separate PDF files for each chapter,
but some of those PDF files are still pretty large, as in > 3MB.

The doc manager wants us to investigate the possibility of providing HTML
documentation instead (using WWP). The first two advantages of this that
come to mind are pages that load more quickly and guides that appear
within the browser rather than requiring the use of Adobe Reader and its
various Web-based quirks.

What are some other advantages to HTML distribution over PDF distribution,
assuming that there are some?

We're assuming that we'd still need to provide PDFs of these guides for
people who want to download the entire guide to their desktop. As a
result, our workload would increase to provide both outputs. Would any
benefits that the clients get from HTML doc be worth the extra workload?

Rick

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com