An Urgent Plea--Please Stop Using My Identity

Subject: An Urgent Plea--Please Stop Using My Identity
From: "Jason Willebeek-LeMair \(jlemair\)" <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:50:36 -0600

Hello Technical Writing Community,

My name is Pat Smith, and I live at 123 Main Street, Anywhere USA. My phone
number is (555) 555-5555. You can view my personal web site at
http://www.example.com.

I am writing to you on behalf of myself and my family; please, stop using
our personal information in your documentation.

Our names, address, and phone number appear in countless screen shots,
sample input and output, and sample configurations in user guides, training
manuals, administrator guides, and sample data files. The phone never stops
ringing. You know how people are. They see something in the manual and
they have to try it out. Our web site shuts down for being over our traffic
quota within the first two minutes of every month. People camp out in our
front yard just to see the family from /Using WidgetMaster5000/. My spouse,
Jordan, is afraid to leave the house in the morning because of all the
people clamoring for a glimpse or an autograph. We have had to remove
little Riley and Shea from public school and home school them for the same
reason.

So please, for the sake of my family, please use someone else's information
in your documentation.

Thank you for listening to our plea,

Pat, Jordan, Riley, and Shea Smith

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l