RE: Talking about spreadsheet UIs

Subject: RE: Talking about spreadsheet UIs
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- qdusa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:35:55 -0800

Patrick, Elizabeth,

I'd like to add my 2 cents on this topic, although I think my method is
probably in the minority. I think you should say what people need to do: if
they should click in the cell, say so. Same for clicking on.

My argument: It seems like a wordy construction during the writing, but it
prevents misunderstanding, and it probably won't get in the way of the
reader. [We absorb those types of specifications (on/in) w/o extra effort].
Finally, it makes the material more correct when it's translated.

[Too bad there isn't a recap of the "click in/click on" discussion:-)]

Kathleen

______________________________

Grammar: should one say
1) "click on a cell to select..." or "click in a cell to select.."? on, in,
or neither?

2) same as 1, but for "type on"/"type in" a cell<snip>

In the TECHWR-L archives, there is a discussion about 'click on' from Dec
2003. Quite a number of the discussion participants don't us click 'in' or
'on'. They just say 'click', as I do. 'Click a cell to select it.' 'Type the
text in the cell.' 'Click the cell and type the text'. I don't see why you
need the particle.

elizabeth

elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com