Re: Generic and device specific docs

Subject: Re: Generic and device specific docs
From: sueahrenhold -at- ameritech -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:55:41 -0700

We do this with a product where the interface is the same, but the
hardware can be different by putting all the variable material in one
Appendix, then swapping out the appendix as needed.
However, if the differences are embedded in the user interface - hmmm...

I recently purchased an electronic audio recorder for work. The software
I'm using to edit the audio files is generic, as you describe, and it took
me a couple of days to figure out how to do everything that I wanted to do
with the tool. But - and this is a big but - it was freeware. If I had
paid real money for it, I would be cranky.

Consider this as a rule of thumb:
How big are the differences between the interfaces? If they are one or two
words, and, if it is clear from the illustration where the user is, then
you may want to consider including in all variable messages something
like:
The options in this list may vary, depending on the "device" you use.

If it goes much further than this, making a general manual could be a bad
idea.

My $0.02

Sue Ahrenhold
"Good technical communications is so simple and straightforward, they'll
wonder what took you so long." - T. Markos

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com