RE: Technical Writing - What's the catch?

Subject: RE: Technical Writing - What's the catch?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:51:41 -0800 (PST)

> As we expect from a _North American_ writer. A broader perspective

As english language readers expect. The expectation criteria used for
understanding english writing is not determined by the writer...it is
determined by the english language reader. We're not instructed to
write documentation a certain way becuase that's the way writers want
us to...it is based on how well the reader comprehends what we wrote,
which is passed down through experienced writers.

If you saw anything even closely resembling the original post in a
document, you'd swear it was translated by software...old software.

> acknolwedge that writing styles are different from culture to
> culture. The

sure...but any culture must write in an understandable manner, and if
they are writing technical english, there are certain criteria they
must meet, including avoiding double negatives, parallel
construction, correct usage of the selected words, and an attempt to
use less words when more words are not called for. An english word,
as read by an english language reader means roughly the same thing
regardless of what the writer's original languge is.

> individual was also writing an e-mail not a manual. I teach many

I said it was SO far away from expected that I have to believe the
command of the language is poor regardless of the purpose.

> international students who must learn to write more tightly and

The poster wasn't writing as a student. The poster was writing as
someone with enough expereince to offer a commentary on the field.

> Sorry, guys...but I gotta side with Lou on this. The original post
> violates usage and structure to such an extreme degree that it is
> beyond consideration that the original poster posted that way but
> writes technical documentation clearly, as we expect from each
> other.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com