Re: giving a toss about documentation

Subject: Re: giving a toss about documentation
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:57:37 -0500

Depends. For both a microwave and toaster, I'd like to know current
draw, at least, though that does not need to be in printed docs. For
the microwave, I'd like to know what the defrost settings do, how to
change the clock, and how to use one- or two-button cooking, this can
be obscure on some microwaves.

A car is different. I certainly need to know how to activate and use
the alarm, including valet mode, from the2-4 button remote. I need to
know specifications of fluids, tire pressure, filters, wiper blades,
plugs, bulbs, and other wear items. I need to know what, if anything,
the car can tow--though I can figure this out by looking up the
identical European model on the internet and dividing by two, then
subtracting a little (pet peeve)--and payload ... though, again, some
of this can be on a plaque on the door and not necessarily in paper
docs. If I have a bimmer, I certainly need paper documentation for the
trackball-based command thingy. Personally, I prefer to have
documentation on how to secure child seats and the proper procedure
for folding and removing seats, if that's appropriate. If the car
comes with a VCR, toaster, and microwave, well, then I'd offer there's
a convergence of needs .... <g>

On Apr 1, 2005 12:27 PM, Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> > Consumer video equipment is probably a very poor choice of an
> > analogy for documentation, because the industry has spent decades
> > developing products are are sufficiently user-friendly to require
> > minimal or even no documentation outside of their own embedded
> > menus.
>
> Right. Another bad analogy would be buying a car, microwave,
> refrigerator, toaster...

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com