Re: Fw: Help with Help

Subject: Re: Fw: Help with Help
From: "Poster" <Poster -at- aurora -dot- cotse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:28:26 -0500 (EST)

Anonymous Poster said:
> This message was forwarded anonymously on request. If
> you want the original poster to see your response, you
> must reply to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to
> this message are automatically discarded. Contact Lisa
> lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com with questions.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Hi, I'm hoping that I can get some
> help/recommendations from the list.
>
> I have one large project in RoboHelp (generating .chm)
> but have not used any other help authoring tools.

You've got a decent tool. Stick with it.

> One of my other clients will soon have a new app
> availabile, written in Java. The data will reside on a
> Unix server, the users will access the app from
> Windows workstations (some, potentially, being
> diskless). It is my understanding that the users will
> *not* be using other O/S's to access the app.

Well, you could create Winhelp or HTMLhelp and just store it on the
UNIX system. UNIX won't care. But, my .02 is to use web-based help
(i.e. HTML/DHTML/CSS). RH is good at creating it as long your source
files are going to be your web pages. Manually editing HTML with RH
and getting it to work with indexing is somewhat laborious.

I've used Frame -> Word -> RH -> Winhelp and that just sucks (that's
because Word is so freaking unstable, and the image conversion issue).

Frame -> RH -> HTML is much better, but again, somewhat laborious.

I've used an older version of Webworks and evaluated HTMLTransit and
have played with Mif2Go. Of all of these, RH seems to be the easiest
to use for HTML-based help, but then again, I'm no Mif2Go guru.

~Poster

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com