RE: Displays vs. Appears

Subject: RE: Displays vs. Appears
From: "Jayaseelan Pannirselvam" <jayaseelan -dot- pannirselvam -at- ite -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 04:32:41 +1000

David,

My bad. Sorry. A poor choice of word there on my part. Blame it on my
now-not-so-trusty M-W O which misled me with its positive spin on
"finicky" - meticulous in taste or standards. :)

So I'll change "finicky" to "meticulous". I hope the whole point of my
response to Bill is clearer to you now. My point restated is, "Bill, you
may not care or see a problem, but "a meticulous editor" perhaps would.
And hence my query."

And I'm going to ignore your postscript entirely because it doesn't make
any sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but there's nobody
disagreeing with me at the moment.

But I however found the answer to my original query in your "since
there's a perfectly good and familiar word for the concept, we should
use it, rather than bending another word to a task for which it is
grammatically unsuited."

Now that's eminently useful. And I'm not going to ignore that. Thanks a
ton.

Cheers,

Jayaseelan