RE: Technical Writing with LaTeX

Subject: RE: Technical Writing with LaTeX
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:18:42 +0200

> Little that can't be done in ID with enough plug-ins.

I differ with Dick on this. The capacity of LaTeX when it comes to complex typesetting & fine typography is vastly superior to InDesign, even if you use ID plugins.

> But the question is somewhat misleading, because someone whose job it is
> to produce beautiful books wouldn't be considering FM in the first
> place.

I think DEK's often-cited sentence about TeX is misleading. Perhaps one should say that TeX is a 'typesetting system intended for the creation of books, using features and functions supporting a level of typographic quality that was once natural in composing rooms, but is nowadays not offered by software companies since their knowledge of fine typography is so limited.'

Or something like that.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l