Re: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt

Subject: Re: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt
From: "Tom Johnson" <tjohnson -at- freeway -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:27:16 -0400

Anon,

What is it about the job that keeps you there? In my opinion, those
hours are insane. You're right, you cannot sustain that schedule for
more than a few weeks without destroying your health and family life.
In addition to that, you're working at half price. At the end of a
year, you'll have given them one year of free labor. That isn't right
or fair. Of course, management could argue that the extra hours were
not as productive as the firt 40 per week. In that case, tell them
you'll give them your best 40 hours every week and you get to keep the
rest.

First, I'd carve out a few precious hours of a weekend to get some
rest, polish my resume, and get that circulating. With the hours
you're working, I'd be considering any available job, even if it meant
a big reduction in pay. If I like the job, other than the hours, I'd
ask for a reduction in hours. If you don't feel safe asking for a
reduction in hours, start saving every dollar, Euro, or peso you can.
When you have enough saved up to last you a couple months or so, BAIL.
It shouldn't take you long to save up some cash. You don't have any
time to spend what you've earned.

Now, I'd better give my employer my best effort.

Here's to a successful job hunt! Cheers.

Tom

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com