Re: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: Re: What notebook did you buy?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:46:40 -0500

As it happens, I have been checking out the units on offer myself.
Since I, too, intend to begin using a laptop for tech writing
assignments, I have concluded that the 17" screen machines make sense
despite the obvious increased bulk in transporting them.

It appears that the only brand sold in the U.S. with an international
warranty is the Fujitsu. Since I am awaiting final word on a job that
would take me to Ukraine for a few years, the warranty is obviously a
limiting factor.

That said, they produce a desktop replacement machine which I have
examined that is incredible.
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=N6

Configured with 512 MB of memory in its first memory slot (they are
offering a free 512 MB module with any notebook through May, giving a
total of 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB hard drive, multiformat DVD writer, 3.2
GHz Pentium processor, extra Lithium Ion battery, and Windows XP Pro
and Microsoft Works, it lists for $2378. This machine has a memory
stick slot, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, four USB 2 and one FireWire port, a
multinational v.90 modem, 128 MB separate video RAM, etc.

It is also available with a TV tuner for another $150 that not only
allows TV reception but also transferring VCR tapes to DVD.

If the job materializes in Ukraine, the other primary item I will buy
is an external USB2 hard drive to back the laptop up.

Within the next few years, I am sure event his machine will begin to
seem "yesterday's news"--but for now, it appears to be state of the
art at a reasonable price for what it offers.

The primary attraction to me is the screen...my "tired old eyes" find
smaller screens to grow rapidly tiring. With the wide format, too,
there is room for the various auxiliary windows without having to open
and close things all the time.

The processor is overkill for what I do...but constrained by the
international warranty, it is the only 17" machine in Fujitsu's line
and the only processor option for it. I would be extremely surprised,
however, if the battery life were to exceed an hour or so. That is not
much of a limiting factor, however, for I anticipate normally being
connected to AC while it is in use.

Regarding service, I don't find many of the manufacturers are
particularly good these days. HP/Compaq has fallen greatly in their
service, as has Dell. Toshiba has *never* had decent factory service,
although there are a few factory-certified repair organizations that
are quite good. Perhaps the best of all in quality and service would
be IBM, and they claim the same notebook service organization will be
in place under the new ownership.

David

On Apr 11, 2005 12:46 PM, Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
<Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi--
>
> I need to get a new notebook. It will be my only computer, with backups
> to CDs. I will be running the usual techwriting software. I'd really
> like to hear from anyone who bought their own laptop to use as a
> contractor as to what laptop they bought and how it is working out. Right
> now I am contemplating the Dells.
>
> Thanks!

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com