Re: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: Re: What notebook did you buy?
From: Carter Campbell <ccampbellat -at- wi-land -dot- otcom>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:16:04 -0600

Hi Amanda;

> I need to get a new notebook. It will be my only computer, with
> backups to CDs. I will be running the usual techwriting software.
> I'd really like to hear from anyone who bought their own laptop to use
> as a contractor as to what laptop they bought and how it is working
> out. Right now I am contemplating the Dells.

You might want to look at a company called Eurocom
(http://www.eurocom.ca/). They are a company out of Kanata (near
Ottawa).

I have used laptops for 17 years and have used a wide number of brands.
There have only been two that have stood up to me. They were an Everex
(a Sanyo OEM) machine and my Eurocom. My worst experience was a Compaq.
That thing spent about 60% of the time in the repair shop.

Essentially, my machines go everywhere I do (except the shower and bed),
so they end up taking a lot of crap. I don't abuse them, in fact I try
very hard not to jar them or let them get hit by anything. I don't walk
around with them when they are on, etc.

In general; however, I get about one year out of a machine before things
would start to die. Hard disks and batteries go the quickest, then
keyboards and, oddly enough,video displays.

My Eurocom is now five years old and is running Linux without issue. I
have had a very good experience with it and the company, on whole.

One nice thing about Eurocom laptops is that all of the main components
are replaceable, including the video circuitry (on some models).

Anyway, that's my vote

One other suggestion if I might. Buy a backpack for your laptop. When
it is strapped to your back, it doesn't swing around like a regular
laptop bag does and that helps keep your machine's moving components
alive a little longer.

Carter

--
Carter Campbell