Re: I'm looking for a word...

Subject: Re: I'm looking for a word...
From: "Janet M. Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:45:04 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:
> One of our developers likes to call them "thunks"... That is, it's a
> big thing and to use it you just *thunk*... drop it in place. ;-)

"Thunk" actually has a specific computer-science meaning:

So, this developer is overloading that term.

> I'm not sure of the technical term you should use (or invent) because
> I'm not terribly familiar with what you're trying to do. "Layer" could
> work, depending on how your methodology is structured. If you're
> getting conceptual in description, "piece" or "portion" might work
> well.

Is "part" too untechnical? Of all the suggestions so far, "subsystem" seems most descriptive to me. "Constituent" is another option.

Janet Swisher --- Senior Technical Writer
Enthought, Inc.


Accelerate the document lifecycle with full online discussions and unique feedback-management capabilities. Unlimited, efficient reviews for Word
and FrameMaker authors. Live, online demo:

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as:
archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: "I write the labels" ad
Next by Author: Re: Creating a Style Guide
Previous by Thread: RE: I'm looking for a word...
Next by Thread: Re: I'm looking for a word...

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads