Re: Trouble finding work?

Subject: Re: Trouble finding work?
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:25:35 -0400

+1

I give this advice to others, but realize I haven't been following
it myself lately. Time for another marketing run.

LQ

Geoff Hart wrote:

When I went freelance a year back, I contacted every peer-reviewed journal whose subject matter I even vaguely understood (there are ca. 15K journals out there... really!) and told them I wanted to work with their problem authors "to provide you with manuscripts so well written you only need to think about the science". I emphasized that this would be an arm's length agreement: the journal would do nothing more than give the authors my brochure (PDF format), with no indication that they approved my work in any way. It was purely a "your English is not acceptable to this journal, so before you resubmit your manuscript, have it edited by a pro; here's one person who can do this work for you".

I'm now busier than I've ever been as a result of this marketing work. Not only are the journals pleased with the results, but authors are referring me to their colleagues at a ferocious rate. Lesson number 1 of this anecdote is discovering what you're passionate about. Lesson number 2 is that the best jobs aren't advertised: you have to find someone who doesn't even know that they need you, and demonstrate that you can make their lives so much easier that it's a no-brainer to hire you.

So ask yourself a few difficult questions: What field of work fascinates you most? Who is doing work in this field? Why should they hire you to do the work for them?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com