Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? What if?

Subject: Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? What if?
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:32:56 -0400

Spitzer, Judd L wrote:

Adobe continues to develop and produce newer "versions" of the PDF standard which don't always work properly with older versions
of PDF. So PDF in-and-of-itself is a strange file format that CAN act peculiar if you don't use the version of software that created it.

That's just the beginning of peculiarity. I'm not sure what it
means that PDF's an open standard. In practice, it looks more like
a moving target to me.

I've exported some files using a program that created SWF format,
only to get a 3Meg file. After bringing it into Flash Professional, is was able to optimize the file by well over 70%.

This is starting to sound familiar. Good bedfellows, these.

they either serve the shareholder first, or the customer first. We would like to believe it is the customer that is number one, but we all know that is not always the case.

Re publicly held companies, it's by definition *never* the case.
Nature of the beast.

I believe that Open Standards tend to lend themselves to the best
minds and best technology without the oligarchy of a business. XML basically lets you write your own markup language.

The motivations are untainted, because they're our own.

To get back to the original topic, should I be worried about the merger? I don't think that if you are watching the marketplace and technology spheres to see what happens next.

That's it. There's nothing to fear but plenty to watch out for.
Outfits like Adobe and Macromedia are straining their usefulness and
business models, and are ever more motivated to lock down their
cheese. They have larger edifices to maintain than the true future
value they'll deliver to consumers can support, so they need to
distort that value, distort the market, or radically change their
model. It's a tough spot to be in, to be so big and hungry just as
all your fruit goes over-ripe.

I think it's important to remember that Adobe and MM are merging
*because they have to*. It's good that they're planning their own
survival, but it would be a mistake to think that's the end of it.
Even after merging, they're still a cornered tiger.

The safest course, if it's at all possible, is to avoid them.

Somebody said "exit strategy." Why wait to execute it?

LQ

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com