Re: Definition of "User-Friendly" Was Re: Engineering design practice

Subject: Re: Definition of "User-Friendly" Was Re: Engineering design practice
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:43:10 -0400

Tony Markos wrote:

I am curious; how do you define user-friendly?

There is really only one approach to creating such documentation

Easy target.

There's no 'user-friendly' without a flesh and blood user. The second user has different flesh, the third different blood. The fourth is in over his head, but can catch up if he sees his kind of lightbulb. The fifth knows it all, but fakes a lot. The sixth thinks he could write friendlier docs ... and the fates know he could, but that's not his job. The seventh is a customer, finds them inscrutable, and buys something else.

Users are diverse, thus user-friendliness is varied, thus 'one approach' is the mechanized hum of self-abuse by slide rule.

> I am curious; how do you define user-friendly?

Can't be defined in the abstract. Quod erat demonstrandum.

> I am curious;

Doubt it in this case. More likely begging the question to answer it later. There's a term for that. See Lanham:

http://tinyurl.com/ag5an

LQ

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com