RE: Trouble finding work

Subject: RE: Trouble finding work
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:34:44 -0700

I was in a similar situation from the mid 90s to 1999. While looking for
"anything" I ended up taking my advanced degree off the resume and
working through temp agencies. Hurts but when you need anything...

Now I'm back on the market, unsure how things will go this time. There
isn't a lot advertised in my area of So CA, which is supposedly doing
the best economically, and I've seeing TW ads for people without a
BA/BS(!!????). I'm assuming you've done all the networking possible?
Have you tried positions like training and instructional design? My
daughter tells me that the TW "field" is morphing into something else,
suggested Business Analyst. Perhaps that wouldn't be the best fit for
your background, but you get the idea. There are lots of Web-related
ads, though, so maybe you can get experience there?

Wish I had more suggestions, good luck to us all. If you haven't already
checked them out, look at http://www.stcsig.org/cic/pages/links.htm for
some new resources and links. Some of the experienced writers in our
resource base are incredibly talented.

As one of our posters said recently, "a lot of people would be out of
work if there weren't so many people out of work (referring to joblists
and agencies/recruiters/hr)."

Kathleen