Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT

Subject: Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:41:37 -0700 (PDT)

Bill Swallow wrote:
> Right. I'll go to my CTO right now and tell him that
> we need to flush our $XX million investment in Microsoft
> technology down the toilet immediately and spend the next
> year installing Linux on every machine in the joint and look
> for Open Source alternatives to all our applications. ;-)

Actually I hope more $XX million dollar companies beef up their
investment in Microsoft proprietary technologies. There is plenty of
consulting work for tech writers and others there now, and there will
be even more work one day when the IE remediation contracts start
flowing! It'll be just like Y2K.

Prognosticating: Soon IE will be available ONLY with Windows (this is
already announced), and it will finally dawn on the CFOs, if not the
CTOs, that their IE-only corporate apps are locking them into the
Windows upgrade cycle.

Plus, the Critical Security alerts will keep flowing. Wait until they
realize that they need to upgrade IE to make their corporate data
secure, but to upgrade IE they have to roll out the latest version of
Windows to every desktop!

I suspect IE will eventually be made "secure" by some kind of hardcore
lockdown, which will make it useless as a general web browser. So IE
will eventually be seen as a corporate terminal used only to access
legacy IE-only applications.

By the way, you CAN develop to Internet standards with Microsoft tools,
if you choose to. And you don't need to install Linux everywhere. one
of the best setups I have seen was where the developers had standard
Windows workstations, but they would ssh into Linux servers to do their
development work. I marked up XML in my Windows code editor, and
processed it with DocBook tools on the Linux server. And I still had my
corporate Windows apps (Outlook, etc.) so everybody was happy.

Mike O.

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com