Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT

Subject: Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:47:13 -0400

Jerry Muelver wrote:

Could be, Lou. A couple of patterns I have used in past gigs pertain to productivity and the cost of tools, though the shareholder effect is incidental. Perhaps due to a personality quirk, I invariably find myself involved in writing-tool changeovers, triage, enhancements, workflow adjustments, and (surprisingly often) complete replacement with hand-crafted software. http://twpats.hytext.com would be a good place to crystallize the "best tool, best practices" selection process with the knowledge gained from some hard-nosed experience.

Cool. I think a controlling metaphor is to trace backward from
output. Threads will cross, natch, single-sourcing is always in the
air, but the file format of final output is a kind of constant.

* It's a big book, destined for print, and the deliverable is a
rich PDF.
* It's a logotype graphic or diagram; God knows how it'll be needed
(size, file format, embedded into whatever).
* It's a web. A hyperlinked help piece (chm, etc.) or part of a
website. Or both.

How do you get there without being owned by your tools? That's
worth researching, collecting, and documenting. And where it's
smarter to be a sharecropper -- at least in this moment -- that's
useful information as well.

It's not all-or-none, there's no religion, and it'll all change.
Like a Wiki.

LQ

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com