DocBook and Engineering Document workflow

Subject: DocBook and Engineering Document workflow
From: "Dave Neufeld" <Dave_Neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:37:14 -0700

Hi,

Can anyone share their experience with Docbook and engineering documents, or point to the resources I should be looking at for information.

I am starting to look into DocBook to determine how it can solve single sourcing issues in our engineering department. We develop (and I document) hardware, software and firmware (FPGA code). We want to improve the single sourcing of our engineering and customer documentation so that technical information is located in one place only.

We have been using doxygen in our code to various degrees for API documentation, but would like to increase the level of single sourcing to include hardware and firmware documentation. Particularly for managing register and memory map documentation.

Currently, engineering documents includes Requirement Specifications and Detailed Designs for hardware (HRS, HDD), software (SRS, SDD) and firmware "chips" (CRS, CDD). These documents are in MSWord format and can have several variations in style, which I currently transform into a consistent format for our user documentation. It seems that this should be automated to be faster, easier and less prone to error. Storing the content in one place in an XMLish kinda way seems like the obvious thing to do. And Docbook seems to be a way of implementing this.

I am a newbie to XML and Docbook and want to know how to approach this.

Thank you
> David Neufeld [ Lead Technical Writer - Wireless ]
> Spectrum Signal Processing Inc.
>
> t 604.421.5422 // f 604.421-1764
mailto:dave_neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com
> www.spectrumsignal.com
>
> Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message please destroy this Message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com