Re: The sky is starting to fall again

Subject: Re: The sky is starting to fall again
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:59:37 -0500

Bonnie,

You are not being fair to the possibilities of PDF, nor is "a plain
old PDF" made on a Website without authoring controls a representative
sample of .PDF files.

Personally, I *never* send anyone a resume in .doc format; when they
insist on Word formatting, I send them an .rtf. That way, I remove
potential version conflict problems, have nothing to check regarding
whether versioning might have been on, and eliminate a great deal of
the occasional Word weirdness.

Of course, since .rtf doesn't carry macro virus instances either, that
is always a side benefit.

To the untutored user, the icons they see still identify the .rtf as a
Word file, so using it is not a problem on the other end, either.

These days, I prefer OpenOffice.org to Word, but when I am exporting
to .rtf I then open it in Word to be sure the formatting didn't
change. With the most recent versions of OpenOffice, that has become
increasingly rare.

On the other hand, those who have OpenOffice.org can be sent native
files, which are nearly always a fraction of the size of the .doc
ones. Your 42 KB Word resume would likely run about three or four K in
OpenOffice.org.

David

On 4/27/05, Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote:

> My resume in Word is 42 KB; a plain old PDF made on Harvard
> University's employment site for a job application is 331 KB.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com