RE: [rant] Word styles and templates

Subject: RE: [rant] Word styles and templates
From: "Lisson, Kristin" <klisson -at- saleslogix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:46:05 -0700

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [rant] Word styles and templates

<<First, I replace the formatting I applied with the numbered list button
with a proper style. And the margins shift everywhere, and Word inserts a
spare tab mark that I never asked for (I'm well accustomed to this, but it
still annoys me).>>

When working with numbered/bulleted styles, define and modify all paragraph
indentation, hanging indents, and tabs within the Customize Numbered List
dialog box instead of the Paragraph dialog box. They are supposed to be
linked to support the same values (as one value changes, the same value
updates in the other box). However, if you are editing a style (Modify Style
dialog box) and choose Format > Paragraph to update tabs, some funky behavior
happens to the tabs and indentation set in the Format > Numbering > Customize
dialog box. That's why you may get that mysterious "spare tab mark".

<<So I fix that, and then I create the sublist numbered list style. And the
margins shift everywhere, and Word inserts a spare tab mark that I never
asked for. Then I use the clever right-click menu Restart numbering feature
to renumber the lists. But Word restarts the numbering on only half of
them.>>

Not sure what styles you are using but I find that I can avoid a lot of
template horrors by using the styles already available from the "All Styles"
template in Normal.dot. For lists, I start from the List Numbered and sublist
styles already built into the template and then modify them accordingly. As
for numbered headings, I use the default heading styles already created
rather than creating new ones. I then save the template with a new name
(.dot) and apply it to my documents as needed.

<<They were when I saved the <mild expletive> thing!>>

This approach has saved me from using many mild expletives!

Kristin Lisson
Curriculum Developer
Best Software

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l