Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?

Subject: Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:04:43 -0400

> Here, maybe you're being a little too tough. A lot of résumé advice has
> to do with shortening it to fit on a page or two. The details of what
> tools were used where are less important than what kinds of documents
> were produced and the applicant's role in producing them. If you want to
> know that much about tools, ask (during a phone screen or in the interview).

Yes and no. Tools do come into play when workflow enters the resume.
When I see workflow alluded to or mentioned in a resume and no hard
data next to it as far as what were the core technical elements behind
the workflow, I start to wonder just how involved in the workflow this
person was.

Of course it all comes down to the position the person's applying for.
If I'm looking for someone with specific technical knowledge and the
resume skirts over it in each position and provides a laundry list at
the end, I can't validate the person's abilities with those tools and
therefore will often pass for another applicant who appropriately
tailored their resume to my posted qualifications.

> Again, this is a detail that doesn't need to be on the résumé. In any
> case, the only important question is whether a document was long
> _enough_ to meet the need. You shouldn't hold short documents against
> someone.

I disagree. If someone has never written a document over 100 pages,
they certainly do not have the experience to work on many of the
projects I'd need a writer for.

> If it's unreadable, don't read it. Life's too short. On the other hand,
> you're hiring writers who know about telephony, not necessarily about
> document design. Presumably you're giving them a template to work in, no?

Good point there. It ll comes down to what you're looking for. It also
comes down to the applicant recognizing what you're looking for and
tailoring the resume to that need. I hate, no... loathe vanilla
resumes.

> > 10) Document properties that list an author other than the candidate.
>
> That's a bit of a nit. I don't think two percent of users are even
> vaguely aware of doc properties or how to edit them--in either Word or
> Acrobat. I mean I look, too, just as I check PDF security settings; but
> I wouldn't take off points on this one.

I disagree... it's a big red flag for me.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com