Re: Good White boards?

Subject: Re: Good White boards?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:49:01 -0400

David Neeley wrote:

In the past, I have found office furniture liquidators who usually
have piles of the good, heavy ones...cheap!

Great suggestion. Still, there are several different qualities out there, even from the same manufacturer. There's a major brand that starts with Q (not being coy; the name has slipped my mind--maybe it's Quarto???). They have everything from painted composition board to heavy enameled steel. The steel ones, aside from being more durable and more rigid, have the advantage that you can stick stuff to them with magnets.

I agree about the Boone; I have one I jot down stuff to put on my
grocery list. If I had to do any serious work with it, I'd get a much
better one.

All that said, though, none of them really stand up in the long run (in my experience). If you leave stuff on them ("DO NOT ERASE!!!" areas) and then try to erase the area some months later, you'll have a permanent trace, no matter how much cleaner you spray on. In general, you'll build up a haze of nearly legible echoes of everything you've ever written. That is, erasing or spray-cleaning only removes about ninety-odd percent of the color. After several cleanings, you'll still have a fraction of a percent remaining. It just becomes background noise.

So rather than deal with the frustration of an expensive board that never looks clean, maybe the best approach is to buy cheap boards and replace them frequently.

At the extreme, you can get the "instant" white board plastic sheets that are made for static-clinging to windows. I think they're about eighteen inches or two feet square. You can tape them to a wall if they won't stick by themselves.

A couple of other tips, if you haven't spent much time around whiteboards: First, buy extra erasers and discard them when they get grungy. You can't clean them, and a dirty one just smears stuff around. Second, NEVER lean against a whiteboard that has anything written on it. The dry marker crud will permanently stain your clothes.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com