Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?

Subject: Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?
From: "Dana J. Parker" <danapark -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:53:49 -0600

Bill Swallow wrote:

Now, if my resume were published in InDesign and I didn't use styles
correctly in that application, you'd have a legitimate beef. But Word?
Checking styles and properties?

Yeah, you're too picky.

It's a gamble you need to be willing to make. Is the interviewer going
to be too picky, or do I really want that job?

It's a risk either way. If someone's that picky, perhaps he or she also has strong feelings pro or con about using styles or no styles in one-page documents. You can't win no matter what you do.

My resume is error-free (I ran it by not one but two editing teachers) and well-written. If I'm disqualified because everything else is perfect but the interviewer doesn't like me because of the way I use styles (or not) in a one-page document, then no, I don't want that damn job. Especially not if that interviewer is going to be my boss.

There's being anal retentive and then there's sucking up the furniture every time you sit down. You want to work for/with the former, not the latter.

--
Dana J. Parker

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com