resume fondling -- am I being too picky?

Subject: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?
From: "nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 02:23:42 -0400

Once in the 1990s, when writers were really hard
to find, my stack of incoming resumes yielded someone
who seemed like a reasonable candidate except that
his resume had a prominent typo. He had used a Word
template for his resume, with his name in great big
letters across the top, and the typo was in his name.
No, it wasn't just that he spells his name funny. He
had given his name elsewhere and spelled it correctly.

I vacillated for a long time. On the one hand, it was
just one typo. On the other hand, it was his own name
in great big print. But I really did need a writer. But
had I come to this? Interviewing someone who doesn't
notice an error in his own name?

Finally I rejected the resume. A couple of years later,
when I was job-searching after the dotcom bust, I went
to a company for an interview and noticed the same fellow
there. By golly, he had a job and I didn't...

Mark L. Levinson
Herzliya, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

http://mail2web.com/ .

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com