Re: watch your language! (or don't)

Subject: Re: watch your language! (or don't)
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 10:00:13 -0600

On Saturday, April 30, 2005, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

> " the result is a nagging feeling that you have to constantly work on
> ensuring that your English is not merely as good as the average
> person's, but better.

I have similar feelings. I grew up in the south and then moved west.
Like it or not, you are often judged by how you speak. Bad grammar
is often associated with poverty and lack of education. The last thing
I want is someone thinking I am a dumb country girl. So... I try to
use correct grammar. Of course like most everyone else I am not
perfect, and sometimes I am appalled by the things that come out of
my mouth ;)

I've found that writing for a living has tended to improve my spoken
grammar, and it has also made me more aware of other's mistakes.
Some might consider me obsessive or a snob, but I shudder when I
hear a "they was" come out of someone's mouth. A reporter on NPR
used "awokened" the other day. It was just a slip, I'm sure, but
Yikes!

Dana W.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com