RE: What audience should I target?

Subject: RE: What audience should I target?
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 11:13:45 -0700

Great suggestions, Joe, but I'd like to add a caveat to your ideas about
technical hardware/software, based on my experience at a company
developing materials science equipment: You cannot assume that because
the equipment is designed for use by scientists (perhaps highly educated
users?) that the scientist will be experienced in a particular field,
will ever have done a specific type of research, or even in some
situations (especially with China allowing in foreign companies) will
have used sophisticated equipment that people in the US assume is
common. Further, in some labs, students actually use the equipment, and
they might not be well trained or supervised. And then there's always
the poor tech who gets stuck with maintaining things... I guess I should
add that I don't think complete explanations are "writing down," so
perhaps we are on the same page.

Kathleen