RE: LONG - A colloquial writing style?

Subject: RE: LONG - A colloquial writing style?
From: "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:11:14 -0400

I've been experimenting with using examples that involve little stories with characters. They're pretty basic, but they liven up the text and provide context and background. For example, a procedure I write may involve processing a certain type of financial request. My example might give a name to the individual sending in the request, background about why they are sending it, and maybe have them make a common mistake on the request. The processor reading the procedure gets a feel for what happens before requests get to them.

I've had user feedback that the examples are very helpful.

I also think the 'Dummies' books are actually quite clever. They're informal, but they get a lot of info across in a tight, well organized way. So they have a few cartoons - who doesn't read those first? Dumb people don't read dummies books - they don't read any books. IMO.

Cheers,
Eileen Neumann
Business Rules and Procedures