RE: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: RE: What notebook did you buy?
From: Geoffrey Sauer <gsauer -at- iastate -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:25:42 -0500

Amanda wrote:

>I need to get a new notebook. It will be my only computer, with backups
to CDs. I will be running the usual techwriting software. I'd really
like to hear from anyone who bought their own laptop to use as a
contractor as to what laptop they bought and how it is working out.

Marci just replied:

I bought an H-P dv1000 and have been very happy with it. It does everything
I need it to do, and then some. It has a wide screen format, which is very
handy for viewing two applications side by side. At just over 3 lbs., it's
easy to tote around.

My new PowerBook arrived yesterday. 15.2", widescreen, and last night, running on battery (just as a test) it ran for five and a half hours before I put it to sleep. It's 5.6 lbs., and runs UNIX and Mac programs quite nicely. By noon today I have Microsoft Office and OpenOffice, the Adobe CS suite (CS 2 is on the way), the Macromedia suite, FrameMaker 7, and the iLife multimedia production suite that comes with all Macs, all installed and working fine. It works well with the Windows and UNIX networks here. And it's got every feature you'd want in a laptop, including CD-RW and DVD+-RW recording, if desired (handy for backing up large works). Works fine so far with every printer and USB device I've tried (and I have a large collection).

Not to be a zealot, but tech writers' computers run just fine, even without Windows. Maybe better. :)

--Geoff

geoffrey sauer . assistant professor . iowa state university
director, the eserver . http://eserver.org/
office 515.294.3085 . cell 515.441.1461

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com